We have decades of experience in local environmental management, agriculture, sustainable living and community engagement.
And this combined knowledge and experience is available to you at competitive prices. Not only that, our first priority is giving back to our community, so all proceeds are invested in local projects and other local businesses!
Investing in our community and supporting local business
Environmental management is the name of our game.
From implementing classic community Landcare activities, to undertaking water quality monitoring, to strategic land management planning and consultation, our staff have the qualifications and experience for all of your environmental management needs.
Living with Native Wildlife
When the Shire of Katanning needed to translocate native fauna away from a wetland development site, we were contracted to ‘make it happen’. Working with a professional fauna handler and community volunteers, we made sure that turtles, frogs and reptiles were all safely recorded and moved out of harms way.
Need assistance with native wildlife? We can:
- Undertake wildlife monitoring
- Undertake translocations
- Develop wildlife management plans
- Advise in future planning for wildlife corridors for threatened species
- Coordinate volunteer assistance and facilitate inter agency collaboration – we have the hook up!
Vegetation Surveying & Management
The Town of Narrogin hired us to advise and assist them to meet their Department of Environmental Regulation clearing license requirements for a contaminated site clean-up. We provided field staff to identify, mark and count native vegetation present on the stockpiles to be removed, resulting in a great outcome for the Shire and the environment.
Need help with vegetation surveying, monitoring and management? We can:
- Design and undertake field vegetation surveys
- Provide management recommendations for native vegetation
- Advise on introduced vegetation management
- Facilitate agency and community interaction
- Design and implement monitoring and management plans
Broombush Brushwood Harvesting
We have local contractors available to harvest and bundle broombush for sale into the brushwood fencing industry. We can:
- Link you with trained field workers and assist with arranging employment agreements
- Provide industry advice, insight and contacts
- Source seedlings
- Provide site preparation, planting and management advice
Have a big revegetation project coming up and need some advice and assistance? Or do you want to do something to improve the vegetation on your property but don’t know where to start? Or perhaps you have a clearing offset area to establish.
We can help! We can:
- Identify appropriate sites for revegetation
- Advise on the species and density required
- Assist you in liaison and collaboration with relevant stakeholders
Nursery & Garden Services
With our shared knowledge and experience, we can provide you with all the advice you need for a fraction of the cost of celebrity gardeners.
Katanning Environmental Nursery
As part of our newest venture, we now grow local native plants right here in Katanning!
Check out the range of species and price list via our online ordering system here, to help you plan for your next revegetation or native gardening project.
IMPORTANT: Please make sure if it’s a big order or you want obscure species, you need to get in touch with us well in advance of November to avoid disappointment. We need time to source the seed stock.
Our Nursery is located at 8 Curlew Street, Katanning.
IMPORTANT: Please note that we are a wholesale nursery only and as such we are not open to the public. Please direct all general enquiries via our online enquiry form. Thanks!
Native Seed Collection and Propagation
Need local species for propagating or direct seeding? We have licenced native seed collectors with a huge amount of local plant knowledge at your disposal. We can:
- Advise on the species you need and when the seed needs to be collected
- Advise on seed treatment methods
- Advise on the specific seed mix you need at the right per hectare amount
- Collect and propagate seed for specific species mixes in our nursery (volume and species dependant)
Garden & Landscaping Services
Are you planning a garden or landscaping project and have no idea where to start? Or is the cost of watering and fertilising your existing garden or grounds getting you down? Well we can help!
We have extensive experience and knowledge in planning and undertaking waterwise and fertilise-wise garden and landscaping for residential, commercial, state and local government clients. We recently undertook a retrofit of the Katanning Primary School Garden (pictured) and they are already experiencing a range of expected and unexpected benefits.
Studies show that most of the water used in the home or business goes on irrigation and most people fertilise much more than they need to. So a consultation with us will not only benefit the local environment, it will benefit your bottom line!
- Design a new garden/landscaping project from scratch
- Retrofit your existing garden/landscaping
- Advise on costings and undertake a cost-benefit analysis
- Liaise with local providers
- Assist in sourcing the local species you will need, often direct from our nursery!
People & Events Services
Looking for an energetic and dynamic guest speaker for your next event or function?
Or perhaps you need some help in pulling it all together? Maybe it’s facilitating stakeholder engagement or consultation that you need?
Well look no further than our team! We have the skills and knowledge to make your next event the talk of the town, at a fraction of the cost of others in the biz.
Event management can be scary if you’ve never done it before. There’s the planning, keynote speakers, program design, invite list, venue, catering, accommodation, budgeting, the list goes on.
Well never fear. Between us, we have decades of experience in designing and coordinating small to large events, functions and conferences.
Whether you simply want us to provide an advisory role, or take the load from you completely, we can:
- Provide advice and assistance in the planning, program design and budget
- Facilitate/MC the event or specific sessions
- Advise and assist with branding and advertising of the event
- Provide you with access to our extensive network of professional keynote speakers and MCs
Surviving the Not-For-Profit World – Jill has been involved with Katanning Landcare since its inception, and has learnt a few things along the way about adaptation, maintaining relevance, the importance of good governance and most importantly, a sense of humour! Jill can share her trade tips and tricks with your group.
Engaging Young Adults – Ella has published a paper on ‘Engaging the 20 Somethings in Landcare’ and has presented on the topic to audiences around Australia. Although the primary focus is Landcare, the principles can be applied across a range of fields and can assist you in understanding and engaging with those young people in your work.
Adult Learning and Personality Styles – With a background in fitness training, Andrea comes with great understanding about what drives people (and what drives people mad!), motivates change and the value of personality profiling. Turn your workplace or organisation around with her insights into the fascinating, and sometimes alarming, realms of adult behaviour.
Project Management Training – Katanning Landcare is involved in many exciting projects and we have plenty of stories to tell! Hear about our project management triumphs and challenges and use our experiences to assist you in your own project management work.
Our team is highly skilled and experienced in group facilitation, which we tailor and deliver across a range of industries. We lead organisations through a range of fun and practical management and decision making processes to get results that stick!
Need some extra hands to get a job done but have a limited budget? We have decades of experience in managing volunteer teams undertaking environmental conservation and rehabilitation projects. Whether it is rubbish collection, weed control, fauna monitoring, vegetation surveying or seedling planting you need done, we have what it takes to pull the right volunteer team together to get the job done well.
- Organise and coordinate appropriately skilled volunteer teams for your job
- Provide management, site inductions and basic PPE (safety gloves and glasses)
- Provide on-site supervision, quality control and outcome reporting as needed
We have worked with the local Aboriginal community on a number of projects to respect and preserve traditional knowledge and values, and to meet formal requirements under the Aboriginal Heritage Act (1972). These projects have included working with elders and the Shire of Katanning at the Piesse Lake development to protect cultural values, with an indigenous facilitator at Lake Ewlyamartup to capture and record place stories from local Aboriginal families, a cultural acknowledgement arts project bringing together local elders, Noongar teenagers, artists and farmers and we are currently working with an Aboriginal Corporation and other partners in a bush tucker project.
Need help in this area? We can:
- Identify and invite the appropriate cultural representatives to meetings and/or in-field sessions to discuss projects
- Facilitate consultation payments
- Assist with relevant agency consultation
- Assist in the completion and submission of required paperwork
Aboriginal Heritage Site Monitors
We have arranged Aboriginal Heritage Site Monitors to oversee earthworks and liaised between them and the Shire of Katanning to protect cultural heritage during site works.
Need assistance with heritage protection and management? We can:
- Facilitate management of site monitors, including pay-roll, site induction training and work scheduling
- Coordinate the reporting and recording of any finds of cultural significance, in collaboration with site monitors
- Provide a liaison role between the Monitors, the party undertaking site works and other key stakeholders